A quick travel conversation with: Model Erin O'Connor talks India, Mauritius - and home

British model Erin O’Connor is no stranger to travel after a career that has taken her to catwalks and fashion shoots around the world. Here, she tells Chris Leadbeater about her favourite destinations – and how to arrive at the end of a journey with a fresh-faced glow.
Erin O'Connor
Mauritius
Searching for the sand: Erin loves the home comforts of County Antrim - but likes to escape to Mauritius (right)

So, first things first – where is your favourite travel destination?
Well, I like to go home to Northern Ireland three times a year. My family lives at Ballycastle in County Antrim. They live on the beach, practically. It’s very Jurassic and untouched, really beautiful.
When it comes to long-haul journeys, I love Mauritius. They have some cracking beaches. I love the heat, warmth, sun – though the sun doesn’t love me, unfortunately.
And where would you love to go – somewhere you haven’t already been?
I’d like to go even further east. I’ve been to Thailand, but I’ve always wanted to go to Vietnam and Cambodia. Those are the sorts of special places that you get a quick glimpse of when you’re working, but you don’t get to appreciate properly.
Are you an organised traveller? Are you always on the last minute, or are you the girl who is at the airport hours ahead, browsing through duty free?
I’m pretty organised when it comes to travelling. I’ve only missed a flight once, and I’m sure that was because it left early.
But I’m always keen to decompress, and I always enjoy that airport shopping experience. Not just on those days when I’ve forgotten something, but when I have time to go out and pick something I want.
County Antrim
Emerald delights: Erin's family live at Ballycastle near the glorious coast of County Antrim
What do you look for?
Practicality, functionality, style – they all kind of go together in one sentence.
Anything from headphones to beauty products. I always use serum on my face when I’m on a long-haul flight, especially if I’m obliged to look good at the other end. But there’s nothing nicer than a shopping session. I wear clothes professionally all day every day, but it’s nice to have your own experience and find things you choose to wear, just because.
What is your best tip for looking good on the move?
It really isn’t very glamorous, but it is the Vaseline serum trick to stay moisturised.
That doesn’t sound a great revelation, but it absolutely works. That and sleep. You can’t do much else on a plane. So I’m a willing nomad in that sense. I genuinely enjoy travelling.
Can you sleep on planes?
I can sleep anywhere. It’s a scary talent. You learn to sleep when you can.
Tell us about a particularly great travel memory…
I had a really special journey in India once, where I was doing a job in Mumbai – but then took an eleven-hour train ride down to Goa. It was a remarkable trip. At each stop, there was a whole different landscape, different colours, people from all over the world.
The train is the only way to travel in India. Most people take flights, but I really wanted to experience the country. The two ends of the journey were such polar contrasts. Mumbai is so loud and lively. Goa is the extreme opposite – calming, a place where you can put yourself back together again.
Goa
A journey of extremes: Erin has happy memories of a train trip that saw her swap Mumbai for Goa's beaches

Related

jattravel 5744481952715300789

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Hot News

Others

Most Viewed


Side Ads

Feel

Follow Us

item